- Congratulations to the cross country team from St Francis de Sales High School. Both the Junior Varsity and the Varsity won the Three Rivers league championship this past Saturday at Pearson Park. Son of Chili Dog placed second in the JV race (which would have placed him at least in the top 25 in the varsity race).
[side note: St John Jesuit placed third in the varsity race. The school has an advertising campaign touting its "unparalleled" athletics. I always thought "unparalleled" meant without an equal or peer, but I guess if no one else finishes third, then "unparalleled" applies, right?]
- In the final minutes of the Ohio State-Illinois game in Champaign, Illinois had the ball at the OSU 12 yard line trailing 17-7 with just over a minute left and facing 4th down and 2 yards to go. Know they needed to score at least a touchdown and a field goal, Illinois coach Ron Zook incredibly (moronically?) chose to go for it on 4th down. They were stopped. Game over.
- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz looked like a complete idiot chasing after San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh after their game on Sunday. Harbaugh is an ass, but Schwartz looks stupid, like an 8 year old. That the NFL isn't going to fine either one is unjust. If two players were involved in a similar situation, I would guess there would be fines assessed.
- The Tigers parlayed a fine August and September into a nice post season run this year. I thought Leyland was too quick to pull Scherzer in the final game given the bullpen's incompetence as of late. The future looks bright in Detroit, but the baseball season is a marathon. Picking up some valuable replacements for Ordonez and Guillen should be front and center in Dombrowski's planner.
[side note: Ramon Santiago wants a raise. He says he has kids to feed. When I hear that I just want to grab him by the neck and choke the living piss out of him. I hope they cut his ass and trade him to Kansas City]
- A race car driver was killed in a crash over the weekend. Don't think I would call that a tragedy. That this doesn't happen more often is a blessing. He volunteered. Think of all those who die in crashes that don't put on fire retardant and helmets and strap themselves to cars going 200+. Those are real tragedies.
- I cannot express enough what a pleasure Sundays are now that I no longer really care about anything that happens in the NFL. I always thought people who didn't pay attention were nuts. Now I wonder what took me so long.
- The Kenton Wildcats are 8-0 and are AP-ranked #1 in Division IV in Ohio. Saw them play Lima Bath a couple weeks ago. Most entertainment I have ever had watching a high school game. Final score 64-42. It was like watching a real-life video game. Kenton QB Maty Mauk, bound for Gary Pinkel's Missouri, had nearly 200 yards rushing and over 400 yards passing. Bath's running back, whose name escapes me had well over 200 yards rushing. Through 8 games, Kenton has scored 364 points (over 45 points per game average).
One more item that I had originally intended to include but failed to remember. Middle age sucks.
- Assuming Oklahoma wins out and the SEC champion is undefeated, it is very likely that an undefeated team from University of Wisconsin would not be in the BCS Championship. Oh yea, and Boise State, too.
- NFL: No fines for Schwartz, Harbaugh (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Ohio State vs. Illinois: Ron Zook and 4 Other Coach of the Year Candidates (bleacherreport.com)